Thursday, October 27, 2011

Favorite Sentence: Edwin A. Abbott's Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions

"It is part of the martyrdom which I endure for the cause of the Truth that there are seasons of mental weakness, when Cubes and Spheres flit away into the background of scarce-possible existences; when the Land of Three Dimensions seems almost as visionary as the Land of One or None; nay, when even this hard wall that bars me from my freedom, these very tablets on which I am writing, and all the substantial realities of Flatland itself, appear no better than the offspring of a diseased imagination, or the baseless fabric of a dream."

1 comment:

  1. Flatland! I haven't read that in many years, but I remember being delighted by the experimental nature of the subject matter. I'll have to dig up my copy now...

    ReplyDelete